“It might be time to worry about a recession again.”
At least, that’s what one recent headline on Yahoo! Finance says. The article cites that manufacturing, job openings, and employment reports have all failed to meet expectations—as well as a slowing economy amid “aggressive” interest rate hikes from the Federal Reserve.
But what does the ultimate source—God’s Word—have to say about all this?
- Should you be worried about a recession?
- And, if a recession does come...what should you do?
1. The DESIRE Principle
2. The DISCERNMENT Principle
3. The DISCUSSION Principle
4. The DISCIPLINE Principle
5. The DEPRECIATION Principle
6. The DUE DILIGENCE Principle
7. The DIVERSIFICATION Principle
8. The DESCENDANT Principle
9. The DEVOTION Principle
1. The DESIRE PrincipleDesire God above all else and don’t try to serve two masters.
For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.
No one can serve two masters; for either he will hate the one and love the other, or else he will be loyal to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and man.
2. The DISCERNMENT PrincipleLearn the principle of contentment and honesty!
Remove falsehood and lies far from me;
Give me neither poverty nor riches—
Feed me with the food allotted to me;
Lest I be full and deny You,
And say, “Who is the Lord?”
Or lest I be poor and steal,
And profane the name of my God.
3. The DISCUSSION PrincipleListen to wise counsel;
Don’t act impulsively or foolishly!
Listen to counsel and receive instruction,
That you may be wise in your latter days.
Where there is no counsel, the people fall;
But in the multitude of counselors there is safety.
4. The DISCIPLINE PrincipleBe faithful and deliberate; don't fall for get-rich-quick schemes!
A faithful man will abound blessings,
But he who hastens to be rich will not go unpunished.
A man with an evil eye hastens after riches,
And does not consider that poverty will come upon him.
5. The DEPRECIATION PrincipleDon’t invest in things that are temporary; invest in things that will last for eternity!
Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal; but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal.
6. The DUE DILIGENCE PrincipleDo your homework; count the costs!
For which of you intending to build a tower, does not sit down first and count the cost, whether he has enough to finish it—lest, after he has laid the foundation, and is not able to finish, all who see it begin to mock him.
7. The DIVERSIFICATION PrincipleAs the saying goes, “Don’t put all your eggs in one basket!”
Give a serving to seven, and also to eight,
For you do not know what evil will be on the earth.
8. The DESCENDANT PrincipleInvest in the future—your family and your descendants!
A good man leaves an inheritance to his children’s children,
But the wealth of a sinner is stored up for the righteous.
Now for the third time I am ready to come to you. And I will not be burdensome to you; for I do not seek yours, but you. For the children ought not to lay up for the parents, but the parents for the children.
2 Corinthians 12:14
But if anyone does not provide his own, and especially for those of his household, he has denied the faith and is worse than an unbeliever.
1 Timothy 5:8
9. The DEVOTION PrincipleHonor the Lord with everything you have and from the firstfruits of your labor!
Honor the Lord with your possessions, And with the firstfruits of all your increase; So your barns will be filled with plenty, And your vats will overflow with new wine.
So let each one give as he purposes in his heart, not grudgingly or of necessity; for God loves a cheerful giver.
2 Corinthians 9:7
As Christians, we should never place our hope in the systems of this world. The real hope that Christ gave us does not depend on the shifting sands of politics or economics. If you long to have this hope for life after death, you will find it in Jesus Christ and in Him alone.
You and I have this hope, and I’m deeply thankful for it.
But what about the rest of our world?
With economic worries and fears on the rise, so many are desperately searching for answers, for security, for somewhere to place their trust...for the hope that we have!
However God leads you to give, you can be confident that you will make an impact—quelling fears with hope and meeting instability with unshakeable confidence of faith in Christ. Thank you!